Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Film Review - Inception

After seeing Inception twice, I finally feel comfortable giving an official review.

I can't in good conscience tell much of anything about the film without giving much away, and not knowing anything really is half the fun. You know it's about dreams; what fun would your dreams be if you already knew what was coming? That's why I recommend going into Inception not knowing anything. And if you think you know anything based on the trailers, forget it. The trailers are, of course, entirely out of context, and really don't give anything away. If anything, they actually mislead you, making you think the movie is something else entirely.

And that's brilliant in a way, too. Christopher Nolan is a master of deception. Rewatch The Prestige and The Dark Knight; there is so much going on, and you're deceived at every turn. So it is with Inception.

What I can tell you is that this is a film that will make you think, and one that is one heck of a thrill ride from start to finish. At the midnight screening I attended, I felt the two-and-a-half hour run time breeze by; the second time was just as brisk. So don't be deterred by that.

All in all, you won't feel your money is wasted. If you're like me, you'll want to go right back to the counter and pick up another ticket. It'll take a couple of viewings just to wrap your head around what you've just seen. And the final scene will have you wondering what you've just seen.

4/4 Stars. Inception is rated PG-13 for violence and profanity (relatively mild aside from a handful of religious exclamations.

1 comment:

Shellee said...

I completely agree with you. I can't wait to see it again. I want to be able to pick up on the clues that surely are there, and try, yes, try to get a better understanding of the depths of this film. Definately 4/4!!