Monday, June 21, 2010

Color Job


Sara knocked out this cool drawing of a girl and posted it on Facebook. I liked it a lot, and she was kind enough to let me color it. She was happy with how it turned out, so that was good!

It was really different to try coloring someone else's work. You obviously have your way of doing things, but you also want to compliment their style and really make their work come alive.

I tried a couple of different things with this one. I tried a (clearly off-screen) light source to the character's right, hence stronger highlights on the right side of her body and minimal highlights on the left. Conversely, you might notice stronger shadows on the left, but not as much, since I didn't give her super-strong shadows to begin with. Also, I used a different brush to try to give her gauntlets a wear-and-tear, dirty/used effect.

My favorite part about this coloring job is how the makeup around her eye turned out.

Overall, working on someone else's drawing was a fun exercise that I'd like to try again. It kind of makes you think differently and try new things, and helps you play up to someone else's strengths, while building your own skills up a bit.

No comments: