Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Amazing Spider-Man



This was something of an experiment (that I deemed a success!), in that I only used non-photo blue pencils to do my drawing, adding the inks over those, rather than tightening my roughs with a regular lead pencil. For the most part this worked, except where I started tightening the pencils with heavier, darker lines. Nonetheless, they were easily removed in Photoshop, so everything worked out the way I wanted it to.

You might look at the above and think, "Man, you screwed up! Spider-Man wears red and blue!" True, but this wasn't always so! Here's a little bit of nerdy info for you: Originally, the blue was used to highlight the black, intended to give an illusion of three-dimensionality. Eventually, the blue spread out to be the dominant color, and the blacks ended up looking like shadows. The same thing happened to Batman. I guess it makes sense for Spider-Man to wear red and blue; I mean, the guy operates in broad daylight. In the case of Batman, on the other hand, the change never made sense, since darkness and shadows are where he operates. Bright blue just doesn't flow with the character. Anyhow, I kind of prefer the black in both cases.

The line art is below.

No comments: