Thursday, October 8, 2009

"You Just Don't Get It"

Thinking over it the last day or so, there is something that really bothers me in debate. No matter how well versed you are in a subject, when encountering an opposition, the subject is quickly closed with "you just don't get it!"

To me, that is just insulting. In debates of health care, the phrase very well can and undoubtedly has been used multiple times. Either side of the debate can have valid points, but debate comes to a halt when someone says, "You just don't get it." Or, in other words, "I'm right, you're wrong. End of debate."

If that phrase is said to me, it implies that I have no clue what I'm talking about, in spite of the research I've done on the subject. Clearly, health care is a touchy subject for everyone, so clearly our feelings are mixed in. Do I think that only the rich should be responsible for a federally-funded health insurance program? No. Since the wealthy make more money, I would expect them to pay more, but not exclusively fund the operation. But I can't put aside my feelings that everyone should have some form of health insurance--especially children who have no say in the matter.

I recently read that in the German system, the only way you can be denied health coverage is to not pay your low-cost premium. To me, that makes sense. If you don't pay your power bill, clearly you shouldn't be allowed to have your electricity on. But I think it's great that everyone can have some form of coverage.

I don't know how it can work in the United States. I don't know how to make it work. But because I disagree on health care reform doesn't mean that I don't get the issue. It means that I have a different opinion, one that is just as valid as anyone else's.

In any case, like in the article liked to above, I agree that "you just don't get it" should be banned from public discourse and debate. Rather than pushing understanding and mutual agreement forward, it hinders progression and turns people off from debate.

No comments: