Friday, September 11, 2009

Eight Years Gone

Today definitely feels different.

I really don't know what to say about September 11. As I thought about it today, I thought about how this morning really felt a lot like that September morning eight years ago. I had weight training in the morning, and the radio was interrupted to broadcast the events unfolding in New York. It wasn't until I got to my next class that I really grasped what was going on; until that point we only had a vague idea of what was going on; I recall hearing a plane had crashed, but thought it was an accident. But when I saw what happened, it was a different story entirely.
Everyone who was old enough to remember what happened, I'm sure, will remember it forever. That's not something that leaves you.

I hope it's the same for everyone else, but for me, I don't think I'll ever forget the sense of unity and compassion that was felt on September 12, and the hope that was felt in the days after. I think it's a shame that, after the unity we felt after the country was attacked--where race, political ideology, and religious/social/economic differences didn't matter anymore--has been replaced with a divide that polarizes us on the national issues we face currently, and over the past several years. I hope that, without another devastating event, we can agree to disagree but be respectful and caring towards one another again. Because regardless of our race, political ideologies, and religious/social/economic differences, we're all Americans and want what is best for our country.

In closing, I hope you might take a few minutes to watch this. I think of it often when I think of September 11. It touched me the first time I saw it, and it touches my heart still today.

God bless America.

I can't get the video to embed, so please go here.

No comments: